Instructors can take advantage of the Library's database collections to add streaming videos hosted by services such as Films on Demand (FOD). The LTI (Learning Tools Interoperability) app was designed by Films on Demand to allow instructors to easily find and embed FOD videos into Canvas pages for on and off campus viewing. The videos also play on mobile devices. Because the app connects Films on Demand and Canvas there is no need to worry about ezproxy strings and authentication!
Find your Video
- Go to libguides.elmira.edu and click the Databases tab.
- Go to Films on Demand.
- Browse for, search, filter, and locate your video (e.g. Technology, Trumpets, and Tunes)
- You can copy the video title for convenient pasting when inserting the video.
Insert the Video in a Canvas Page
- Create a Canvas page, typically in a module
- Insert the cursor where you want to embed the video.
- Choose More External Tools > Films on Demand (see screenshot below)
- Paste the full title into the Titles box. (You can also search for videos directly within the Canvas app but searching and filtering is limited.)
- Preview the video if necessary and then click the Embed button.
- The video displays in your Canvas page as a gray HTML iframe embed box.
- Click the Save button to save changes to your page and to play the video (see example below).
The video will play on and off campus and on mobile devices. Again, there is no need to fuss with the ezproxy logon string. The usual video options in the controller bar apply (e.g. view full screen, display closed captioning if available, and playback speed.)
|Image only - will only play within Canvas at Elmira College|